Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  November 12, 2017 9:00am-10:00am EST

9:00 am
>> chris: i'm chris wallace. the push for tax reform heats up as a republicans face growing political pressure to produce. ♪ ♪ >> this is about actually improving people's lives and making a positive difference. >> if they think that this is the bill that they must pass in order to stay in power, they have it all wrong. >> chris: we will discuss what is in the house and senate plans and what the republicans have the votes with a point man on tax reform. republican chairman kevin brady. then, after sweeping election losses this week, the g.o.p. is now dealing with rolling calls for alabama senate candidate roy moore to stepsi
9:01 am
completely false and untrue. >> chris: we will discuss what it means for the special election with chris van hollen, head of the democrats senate campaign. plus, president trump on the world stage taking his america first message abroad. >> we are not going to let the united states be taken advantage of anymore. >> we will ask our sunday panel about the president's trip to asia and his latest comments about alleged russian interference in the 2016 election. and our power player of the week, a new high-tech museum for the good book. to speak bible is love it or hate it, it's just one of the great reads of all time. >> all all right now on "fox news sunday" ." >> chris: and hello again from fox news in washington. we begin with breaking news. president trump dealing with a new
9:02 am
suggest after meeting with vladimir putin he believes putin's denial of russian meddling in the 2016 election. white house correspondent kevin corke reports from the philippines. >> as to whether i believe it or not, i'm with our agencies, especially as currently constituted with their leadership. i believe in our intel agencies, our intelligence agencies. >> in attempting to clear up confusion over whether he accepted russian president vladimir putin's denials of meddling in the west election last year, president trump to the surprise of many repeated his beliefs saturday that putin was sincerely convinced that there was no meddling. >> i think it was very obvious to everybody. i believe that president putin really feels, and he feels strongly, that he did not meddle in our election. what he believes is what he believes. >> u.s. intelligence agencies have long since concluded that there was meddling. the president has recalibrated
9:03 am
overshadow his final stop in this five country asia tour, and followed a fire storm of witticism back on. there's nothing america first about taking the board of a kgb colonel over that of the american intelligence community, said arizona senator john mccain in a statement. trump said he was an interesting and arguing over meddling, and instead wanted to get rusher to work with the u.s. from problems like north korea, syria and ukraine. the president taken to twitter to slam his critics saying what will all the haters and fools out there realize that having a good relationship with russia is a good thing, not a bad thing? >> in another tweet, the president actually took a swipe at the leader of north korea, kim jong un, who has repeatedly called the 71-year-old commander-in-chief old. the president tweeting "why would kim jong un insult me by calling the old when i would never call him short and fat"? the president added that he had been working hard to become his friend and despite
9:04 am
was holding up hope that that could still happen. good luck with that. >> chris: kevin corke traveling with the president and the philippines, thank you. now to the push by republicans to pass tax reform. both chambers take up separate proposals this week that have big differences, while the house appears on track to pass its version, the process is just beginning in the senate. if the goal is to get on the same page and send a compromise to the president by christmas. joining me now from texas, congressman kevin brady, chair of the house ways and means committee that passed its tax plan this week. chairman, the biggest difference between the house and senate tax plan seems to be over the question of deducting state and local taxes. let's drill down on this, your bill lets people deduct $10,000 in property taxes on their federal returns. the senate plans kills all the deductions for state and local taxes and senate democratic leader chuck schumer
9:05 am
if they eliminate those state and local taxes, it could cost republicans the house in 2018, here he is. >> i say to every one of my republican colleagues in the house who come from a suburban district, this bill could be your political doom. >> chris: chairman, you've got more than two dozen republican congressman from high tax states. can you guarantee them -- because they are threatening to vote against an elimination of all the state and local tax deductions, can you guarantee them that the final bill they vote on will not include the total elimination in the senate plan? >> chairman brady: i can. here's why. because we want people to get more of what they aren't regardless of where they live, including in these high tax states. that's where we keep the home mortgage deduction and we keep the charitable deduction. we restore $10,000 of the property tax deduction, which is twice the national
9:06 am
we didn't stop there for these states. the way we set the income brackets, we created this new family tax credit that is eligible for families up to $230,000 of income, and we restored the state and local property tax. the combination of all of these gets the job done for these families. >> chris: how can you guarantee house members from blue states that the total elimination will not be in the final bill? >> chairman brady: i'm convinced that this is where we will end up because this is important, again, as i told her, make sure people keep more of what they earn, even in these high tax states. what we are working towards and what we work so carefully with, lawmakers from new york and california, new jersey, to make sure we deliver this relief, and i'm committed to it. >> chris: are you saying them at the house will not accept a total elimination, that that just won't fly even if the senate passes it? >> chairman brady: t
9:07 am
>> chris: good, thank you. i want to go through some other big differences between the house and senate plans. they are technical but they are important, as you well know, to every individual taxpayer. all the people in business, your bill, the house republican bill repeals the estate tax over six years and cuts the corporate rate to 20% right away. the senate plan delays that corporate rate got a year, and does not repeal the estate tax ever. but with the money that the senate plan saves, while you eliminate the deductions for medical expenses and student loans, the senate would allow people to keep taking those deductions. my question is, isn't the senate plan better for the middle class taxpayer then your plan is? >> chairman brady: i don't believe so, but here's the point. i'll everyone distressingly differences, there are some, but there are far more common ground. on the death tax, i'm just convinced this is the
9:08 am
reason farms and businesses aren't passed on to the next generation. having washington swoop in and take almost half of what you've earned over your lifetime is just wrong, and getting rid of it creates 140,000 new american jobs because our local businesses aren't hindered by it. so i'm convinced it needs to go, i also believe we delivered dramatic middle class tax relief all up and down that area, especially for suburbs and rural communities that i represent. >> chris: chairman brady, i want to show you two independent analyses that seem to contradict what you just said. "the new york times" says under your plan, about one-third of middle class families will get a tax increase, not a tax cut, next year. in the bipartisan joint committee on taxation, this is bipartisan, as i say, it says that 8.3% of all taxpayers will get a tax increase in 2019.
9:09 am
these analyses say that middle-class families under your plan, some of them, millions of them will get a tax increase, not a tax cut. >> chairman brady: here is where i strongly disagree. i believe there is tax relief all up and down income level for families, regardless of what they earn. joint committee on taxation confirmed every income bracket sees a tax relief. as far as "the new york times" analysis, they are describing an america that doesn't exist. one where the economy never grows, and one where your paycheck stay stagnant no matter what happens. we know that's not the real world, both from the john f. kennedy proposed tax cuts and from the reagan tax cuts as well. when you get the tax code right, our local businesses can compete and win back anywhere in world. when washington takes less of what you earn, the economy does grow and paychecks to grow. i strongly disagree with analysis by
9:10 am
"the new york times." >> chris: would you agree -- and you are exactly right that in all of these analyses if you take each tax bracket there is a net tax cut, but would you agree that there are going to be a sizable number of middle-class families, families that for instance now get the state and local tax deductions, families that have big medical expenses they can deduct, families that are deducting the interest of student loans, that there are a lot of those families that could actually be losers in this bill? >> i don't. and here's why. we are both taxing less, we are eliminating a lot of these deductions so we can lower the tax rates for every american, but we are not just stopping there. we are talking about an economy that grows paychecks in a way that we haven't seen for really almost two decades if you think about it. that is what helps families the most. they are keeping more of what they earn, their paychecks are finally growing, this economy is finally moving again. i strongly believe americans are far bette
9:11 am
than they ever would sticking with this old messed up, outdated tax code. >> chris: i want to turn to a different aspect of this. i talked with a number of top financial analysts this week, none of them said that having a tax cut -- a lot of them supported the idea of a tax cut, but none of them said that having a tax cut that will add one and a half trillion dollars to the national debt, which is what your plan does, that that is good for the economy. >> chairman brady: i tell you what, i disagree here. during the obama administration, they would add wanted to have trillion dollars of deficit every year. that was to grow washington. we are talking about the same amount spread out over a decade to grow the economy and the grow jobs. this is a good investment and in fact if we just grow the economy slightly over the last decade, you would recoup the trillion dollars easily, and if we really
9:12 am
recoup all of it, plus more. i will tell you the surest way to guarantee more deficits and more debt is stick with the current tax code, stick with the current economy. i guarantee it won't be a good ending. it's time to change and challenge the status quo in this tax code. >> chris: let's talk about the prospects for all of this, because that is the bottom line. president trump called into a meeting of senate democrats this week and he reportedly said this. he told them about the senate plan, you are going to like it. the senate plan, a whole lot more than a house plan. i don't have to remind you, because you lived through it, that after the house passed obamacare repeal and replace, the president later said that he thought the plan was a little bit mean. aren't you asking some of your members to take what is a tough political vote when the president may, in the end, after they both that and you pass it, walk away from the house plan and support the senate pn
9:13 am
>> chairman brady: i don't believe you will, and here's wh why. his regular conversations with me tell me he likes the direction we are going in a big way. we are writing towards that framework that the president, the house and senate came together on earlier this fall. he also likes the fact not only are we delivering middle-class tax relief, for the first time our local businesses are going to be able to compete and win anywhere in the world, and when they win, we will no longer tax them to bring their earnings back home to be reinvested in the united states of america, so i will just tell you i think we are making significant changes in this tax code in a real positive way and this is what the president backs. >> chris: how do you explain? what you make of the president sang the senate democrats, i think you will like the senate plan a lot more? >> chairman brady: i know that's the senate democrats description of the call. all i can tell you is my conversation by telephone with the president are extremely positive and so the house is going to take a m
9:14 am
it did this week in the ways and means committee for the first time in 31 euros to fix this messed up, broken tax code, and from there it goes to the senate. i have no doubt we will find common ground and work out the differences. >> chris: let's get to the bottom line, will the house pass your tax plan, or the tax plan by thanksgiving, as now scheduled, which is just 11 days away? >> chairman brady: i believe it will. i feel the strong support for this. we continue to make improvements every step of the way but i will tell you, our republicans in the house know that it is time to deliver on this economy and grow these paychecks by getting rid of this current tax code, that's exactly what we are going to do. by the way, the american people, they are starved. they are starved for a new tax code, one that is so simple and fair. most americans will be able to file using a simple postcard style system. if they are eager for that's implicit in that
9:15 am
>> chris: again, finally on that deadline, can you say that with 100% certainty, you will pass it before thanksgiving? >> chairman brady: that's our goal and that's what we schedule to do. at the end of the day what i want to do is deliver it to the president's desk by the end of the year. not for republicans, but for the american people. >> chris: thank you, and we will track progress on tax reform in the house next week. >> chairman brady: thank you. >> chris: up next, disturbing allegations against roy moore, the republican senate candidate in alabama in the wake of democratic victories across the country on election day. we will talk with senator chris van hollen, head of the democratic senatorial campaign committee, about his party's prospects to take back control of both the house and senate in 2018. ♪ ♪ [ click ] [ keyboard clacking ]
9:16 am
[ clacking continues ] good questions lead to good answers. our advisors can help you find both. talk to one today and see why we're bullish on the future. yours. talk to one today and see why we're bullish on the future. retail. under pressure like never before. and it's connected technology that's moving companies forward fast. e-commerce. real time inventory. virtual changing rooms. that's why retailers rely on comcast business to deliver consistent network speed across multiple locations. every corporate office, warehouse and store near or far covered. leaving every competitor, threat and challenge outmaneuvered. comcast business outmaneuver. did your senator or congressman get elected by talking tough on the national debt? will they stay true to their words? or did they promise you one thing... only to do another? right now, congress is talking about tax cuts
9:17 am
and hurt our economy. it's time to tell congress... don't borrow more money from china. and leave more debt to our kids. keep your word. tax cuts shouldn't add to the national debt.
9:18 am
♪ ♪ >> chris: this week, allegations of sexual misconduct that date back decades surfaced against alabama senate candidate judge roy moore. top republicans took pack endorsements and cut off fund-raising after. alabama's special election is on december 12 and with the g.o.p. now holding a slim two vote majority in the senate, what happens in alabama could determine the fate of tax reform and the rest of the trump agenda. joining us now, senator chris van hollen, chair of the democratic senatorial campaign committee. congressman roy moore has flatly
9:19 am
denied any improper relationship with teenagers. sean hannity asked him about some of the specifics on friday, here it is. >> do you remember dating girls that young at that time? >> not generally, no. >> but you don't specifically remember having any girlfriend that was in her late teens even in that time? >> i don't remember that, and i don't remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother. >> chris: senator, your reaction? >> chairman van hollen: chris, i think roy moore is unfit for office, but this is going to be a decision obviously for the people of alabama and the good news for the people of alabama is they have a clear alternative in doug jones, who grew up in alabama and became a prosecutor. he is focused on jobs, he's focused on increasing people's wages. he's focused on the things people in alabama care about and he's running a good campaign. i'm not going to get into all these details because it's the people of alabama who will
9:20 am
decide, but those who have people like senator bill cassidy obviously withdrew their endorsements. the good news as i said as they have a great alternative in doug jones. >> chris: let me ask you, the polls have tightened considerably, what you think of the chances that the democratic candidate doug jones will actually win in the deep red state of alabama? and what about the notion that is being discussed with these new revelations the governor of alabama postponing, delaying the special election next month? >> chairman van hollen: chris, doug jones, again, is talking about all the issues that are important to people they are in the of alabama. his focus has been on economic issues, kitchen table issues. look, we all know that alabama is a very tough state politically for democrats, but this is a special situation where we have a great
9:21 am
on the other hand, you have a very, very flawed candidate in roy moore, which is why many people are calling upon him to step down, but i'm going to leave this to the people of alabama. this is is their decision, they are getting the facts now, and they need to make a decision bad on the records of these two candidates. >> chris: one more question on this subject. from the president to senate republican leaders, a number of them are saying that he should step down if the allegations are proven. here is fellow alabama senator richard shelby. >> this is a devastating, nasty story. if that's true, i don't believe there's a place for him. >> chris: is that reasonable? i understand i don't want or expect you to get into the specific allegations, but is not reasonable when you have allegations that date back in some cases almost 40 years, let's see some
9:22 am
>> chairman van hollen: again, people like senator bill cassidy have looked at the facts and we know what conclusion he drew. my view, chris, is that roy moore was really unfit for the senate even before these recent revelations. for example, there is ample evidence, this was also reported in "the washington post," very detailed reporting that he essentially cheated a charity that he was involved in for his personal, a private gain. again, there are lots of facts out there about these issues and the people of alabama will make up their minds, but i hope they will look at the facts because you got a candidate in doug jones who has been sticking to the issues that people really care about. issues about health care, issues about tax policy that is going to impact the people of alabama. educating the children in alabama. those are going to be the important issues and i think doug jones
9:23 am
candidate who has a record that can actually help alabama. but that is up to the state to decide. >> chris: understood. let's talk about this question of allegations, particularly of sexual misconduct, which often can't be proven one way or another. it will end up being a he said, she said. the case of bill clinton. as you well know, there were allegations of sexual misconduct, even rape against bill clinton. democrats nominated him, elected him. strong indications bill clinton basically admitted that he had lied to the country about his relationship with monica lewinsky and yet democrats who fought his impeachment, is there a double standard or? >> chairman van hollen: i don't think there's any double standard here. you were also talking in this case, as you know, about allegations of child sexual abuse. we know what the allegations are, the people of alabama will have to look at the f
9:24 am
a decision. i think that's always the case when you have revelations like this, but the bottom line is that doug jones is focusing on issues like health care and the fact that you saw a republican congress try to take away people's access to affordable health care. is talking but having a tax code that actually works for working people instead of a giveaway to big corporations and the superrich. >> chris: as long as -- my final question in this regard, senator. as long as we're talking about allegations, a jury in new jersey is right now considering, not allegations, but charges of political corruption against democratic senator bob menendez. if that jury convicts him, convict him, not allegations, but convictions, should he step down? >> chairman van hollen: chris, we won't leave this decision put to the jury and i will not get ahead of the gam
9:25 am
people on the jury will look at the facts, just like people in alabama will have to look at the facts, and they will have to render a decision. i'm not going to speculate about what the outcome of that jury decision will be. >> chris: you, as we pointed out, the chair of the democratic senatorial campaign committee. democrats had a very big night tuesday with sweeping elections, the governor's race in new jersey, the governor's race in virginia, the down ballot as well. here was new governor-elect ralph northam. >> virginia has told us to end the divisiveness that we will not condone. hatred and bigotry, and to end the politics that have torn thiy apart. >> chris: senator, is there a national message in the boat this week? >> chairman van hollen: there certainly is a message in the fact that you had a huge grassroots turnout in these
9:26 am
the democratic won in the virginia governor's race, but the size of that margin and the scope of the victories. and victories across the country, including in georgia, new hampshire, washington state, even some mayoral races in my state of maryland. it's that scope that showed really huge motivation and turnout. the question of course is whether that will be sustained, and i can tell you, a lot of people were really upset that donald trump and republicans tried to take away their access to affordable health care, and they will be really mad if they try and pass this huge giveaway to big corporations that's going to be paid for by millions of middle-class families. those are the kinds of things that will keep people motivated to come out. >> chris: let's talk in the time we have left about the tax plan,
9:27 am
class. the vast majority of low and middle income americans do not itemize their deductions. doesn't doubling the standard deduction, doesn't that benefit -- i certainly pointed out as you heard me with chairman brady that some people would be hurt, but doesn't doubling the deduction dramatically help most low and middle income voters? >> chairman van hollen: as you know, chris, while they doubled the standard deduction, they also took away with the other hand the ability for people to take their personal exemptions for themselves and dependents. when you washed out all out, the reality is that many families, many middle-class families are going to end up paying more, especially when you take away people's ability to deduct their state and local taxes. the folks in the suburbs are going to get clobbered. as you mentioned in your earlier segment, "the new york times" analysis, and they used a
9:28 am
software from a more conservative group, concluded that almost half of middle-class americans would actually be paying more, and they look at the senate bill and concluded about a third of middle-class taxpayers would be paying more under the senate bill. that's why paul ryan, speaker ryan and mitch mcconnell this week both had to walk back their statements where they had earlier said that there wasn't going to be any impact on middle-class taxpayer taxpayers. in fact, millions and millions of middle-class taxpayers are going to pay more so big corporations can pay less. folks in the suburbs are going to be particularly clobbered. >> chris: let me ask you, i've got one last question, and invested with this issue of corporations, and the democratic line -- i've heard it from you, i've heard from nancy pelosi and chuck schumer. this is a giveaway to big corporations. but you certainly have to agree that the u.s. corporate tax rate, which
9:29 am
question about it, the highest in the world. what is wrong with lowering it to 20%, which puts it in line with other industrialized nations in the world? what's wrong with making us more competitive, won't that boost those corporations, boost growth, boost wages, boost jobs? >> chairman van hollen: a couple of things, chris. first, you know that the effective u.s. corporate tax rate is much lower. some people put it around 20% because corporations take a lot of these deductions. but we could do corporate tax reform, but we should do it anyway that doesn't boost the national debt by 1.5 trillion, and still ask millions of middle-class taxpayers to pay for it. did you know about a third of stockholders are foreigners? right? so you are now asking middle-class taxpayers to finance tax relief for people who are foreig
9:30 am
corporations in america are making record profits. wages are pretty flat. this notion that somehow we've got to give another tax break to corporations and it will trickle down and lift wages is disproven by what we are seeing right now, and in fact, as you know, the ceos from around the country have been reporting that they are going to use that extra money for stock buybacks in their shareholders. at the end of the day, this is a proposal where middle-class taxpayers in suburbs and all the places around the country are going to be paying for the tax cuts for big corporations, that's just not right. >> chris: senator van hollen, thank you, thank you for your time, always good to talk with you, sir. >> chairman van hollen: good to be with you. >> chris: up next we will bring in our sunday group to discuss the key takeaways from the democrats big wins. plus, what would you like to ask about republican roy moore? just go to
9:31 am
@foxnewssunday, and we may use your question on the air. americans work hard. what if we could keep more of what we earn? trillions of dollars going back to taxpayers. who could possibly be against that? well, the national debt is $20 trillion. as we keep adding to it, guess who pays the bill? him. and her. and her. congress, we should grow the economy. not the debt. ♪♪
9:32 am
>> chris: coming up, roy moore hits back about allegations of sexual misconduct decades ago. >> these attacks involve a minor. they are completely false and untrue. >> chris: we will ask our sunday panel about what it means for the alabama senate seat and the g.o.p., next.
9:33 am
it's why we give back to communities that have lost everything. and why you'll see us working with emergency crews. and why we'll be there, every day, until service is restored. when disaster strikes, people need to connect. it's why we're proud to partner with firstnet, the nationwide public safety broadband network. connecting those in need & those who can help. that's the power of &. baa baa black sheep, have you any wool? no sir, no sir, some nincompoop stole all my wool sweaters, smart tv and gaming system. luckily, the geico insurance agency recently helped baa baa with renters insurance. everything stolen was replaced.
9:34 am
igan who lives down the lane was caught selling the stolen goods online. visit and see how easy it is to switch and save on renters insurance. >> i've been investigated more than any other person in this country. to think that grown women would wait 40 years to come before, right before an election to bring charges is absolutely unbelievable. >> chris: g.o.p. senate candidate judge roy moore writing back against allegations and sexual misconduct, and making it clear he
9:35 am
intention of dropping out of a special election in alabama next month. it's time now for our sunday group. at the head of heritage action for america, michael needham. charles lane of "the washington post." julie pace, washington bureau chief for the associated press. and former national security council staff for gillian turner. michael, the republican senate campaign committee has withdrawn from joint fund-raising with roy moore, and the establishment champ, camp and the g.o.p. is saying this is what happens when you have steve bannon looking fr challengers to republican incumbents. your reaction? >> i think that would be rewriting history. what happened in the alabama senate primary was most conservatives were supporting brooks down there, he did very well on the heritage action scorecard. laura ingraham. >> chris: let's talk about roy moore. >> it gets do something about the party. if the party is going to say we are always going to spend millions of
9:36 am
policy focused conservative, we want the person who will be most loyal to the current leadership, mcconnell super pac spent millions of dollars taking mo brooks down because they thought that strange head of better chance of beating moore. >> chris: shouldn't roy moore stepped on? >> if these allegations are true, he should step down. >> chris: "the washingts pretty compelling. sean hannity did a very hard-hitting interview on friday that he generally did not date teenagers. i think that roy moore is going to need to provide people more confidence that this isn't true, because the evidence is pretty overwhelming, and he will have trouble being seated in the senate even if he does when make the election. >> chris: he also said that he never asked girls out without asking permission for their mother, which is a first, i have to say. >> infuriating, that's why i was shaking my head. that idea is infuriating, but
9:37 am
if he could go out with a 14-year-old, and they had said yes it would have been perfectly acceptable. i found that ideal republican . >> chris: if it's proven, then moore should step down. behind the scenes, what is the political team at the white house want to see? >> white house and republicans on the hill are kind of at a loss, because they don't have a good option. absentee ballots have been printed, roy moore will be on the ballot no matter what. even if he does drop out, that means he's going to get votes. a couple options to be discussed, could you get a credible writing candidate? that's a tricky thing for them to do because it would potentially split the republican vote which could lead doug jones, the democrat, to sneak through. there's been discussion about the governor pushing out the election. no one seems to think that's a great idea. it's generally not advised that you have governors stepping into pushback elections because the political situation for the
9:38 am
the repercussions are that could be pretty difficult. the third option to be discussed, if roy moore just get through, should the senate seat him? again, it's a terrible option for republicans. if this is the candidate who alabama voters say they want in spite of these allegations, and in spite of everything else controversial that roy moore has done over the years, is it up to the republican leadership or to say no, we don't want him? everyone i've talked to over the last couple of days on the republican party is really at a loss. if they don't see a quick way out on this. >> chris: you talk about a republican grassroots firestorm. you start not seating duly elected members. >> the precedent for these options, pushing up the election and having republican leaders decide that they don't want to see somebody who was elected, it's really dangerous no matter what party you are talking about here. >> chris: we ask you for questions for the panel, and we got this on facebook from michael, has the mainstream media coverage been fair, or has moore been unfairly prosecuted
9:39 am
in the without the benefit of careful examination and due process? chuck, you work for "the washington post," which broke the story, how to answer? >> i think the best answer to that is to look at the reaction of a number republican senators who are not you who you think of as people who uncritically read "the washington post." if we sell richard shelby, bill cassidy has been mentioned. they regard the story as -- or the information in the story as very credible information. in fact, subsequent to the post story, other news organizations have gone in at the women's the questions that they have all repeated what they said, an independent corroboration from people who were told about his allegations simultaneously has come forward. i don't think this is the case of the mainstream media making up a story to get roy moore, although i will concede that would be an effective line of defense for roy moore among republican base in alabama. >> chris: steve bannon. >> yes, and steve bannon, going to julie's point. i think steve bannonus
9:40 am
loving this because what steve bannon is about is destroying mitch mcconnell and the "republican establishment." and in a weird way if doug jones wings, that is also a win for steve bannon because it complicates mitch mcconnell's life and make things more difficult. this is a guy who compared himself once to lenin and said he wanted to destroy the state. and in that respect i think he's making progress here. >> chris: all of this happens in the wake of the shellacking that the republicans took around the country in last tuesday's elections. in the fox news voter analysis of the virginia governor's race, women, let's put it up on the screen, voted for the democrat northam over the republican gillespie, women, by a margin of 19 points. if roy moore wins special election next month and is seated in the senate, won't that just add to republican problems heading into the 2018 midterms?
9:41 am
it comes to moore's conduct, i think whether or not he is ultimately exonerated or proven guilty, the whole episode bodes very poorly for the republican party at large, both in terms of their ability to legislate over the coming year and then win elections next year. the party is effectively now, this past week, arguing amongst itself about allegations of assault of minors. if it's a very serious and sort of horrible thing to have to hammer out in a few days before an election. but i think moore, broadly speaking, looking beyond the special election, i think the party is going to have to come to terms with it, is this something that we are willing to prioritize over and above policy? meaning are we willing to put our principles aside in order to get the policy solutions that we can all agree on. and that's a question that i think the pu
9:42 am
been grappling with since the 2016 general election. the assault of women was a theme, and during that time also. >> chris: we will have to take a break here. when we come back, president trump wrapping up his long trip to asia, what did he accomplish? and the latest controversy over russian meddling in the 2016 election. ♪ ♪
9:43 am
your brain changes as you get older. but prevagen helps your brain with an ingredient originally discovered... in jellyfish. in clinical trials, prevagen has been shown to improve short-term memory. prevagen. the name to remember.
9:44 am
9:45 am
>> we can't continue to allow china to rape, and that's what they are doing. i do not blame china or any other country, of which there are many, for taking advantage of the united states. >> chris: a dramatic shift in donald trump's attitude towards china from the tough talk during the campaign to the much more conciliatory attitude these days. we are back now with the panel. we did see a
9:46 am
president trump's rhetoric towards china, especially on the issue of trade. did he get played by the chinese, or do you think that there's a strategy there? >> those two questions are not mutually exclusive but i don't think. he could have strategized. i'm sure he did with his advance team every moment of this trip, especially the portion that was in china. to a certain extent he could also get played by the chinese government and that trump -- his presidential persona aside, seems to be somebody who is very committed to the idea of interpersonal relationships. he puts a lot of heart and soul and a large stake into how we interact person with other world leaders and he seems to measure the bilateral relationship in accordance with that. to the chinese look at the bilateral relationship with the united states in the same way? absolutely not. whether or not he was played remains to be seen, but i think
9:47 am
overall there was a sort of coming to terms with the personality at the top level. >> chris: there was also, chuck, a dramatic contrast between president trump and chinese president xi when it came to the speeches they made at the pacific summit in vietnam. trump was talking about bilateral trade with individual countries while xi was talking about major regional multilateral deals. president trump creating, in a sense, a power vacuum that the chinese are all too happy to fill? >> xi in europe give a similar speech after donald trump selection. i think it's even bigger than that. i think the withdrawal of the united states from -- when this period is written about later on, will be seen as a real watershed in the power balance in east asia generally. the asia-pacific region
9:48 am
this last week, the remaining countries that would have been in it have decided to form a deal among themselves and that deal with the china and the united states separately. let's not reject, the rejection was basically bipartisan in this country. 2016, the american people pretty much voted pretty enthusiastically for two's candidates, bernie sanders and donald trump. this is one of those things that's not just about trump. if there has been a real change in the attitude of the american public about trade. >> chris: then there was russia. after meeting with vladimir putin at that pacific summit in vietnam, the president first seemed to suggest that he believed putin's denial of any meddling in the 2016 u.s. presidential election and later, as we showed you at the top of the show, kevin corke's piece, a news conference, have to go to considerable lengths to say no, he agreed with u.s. intelligence that there was meddling. julie, let me bring you in on.
9:49 am
think that the press conference he got himself on the hook on the question of putin and believing or not believing? >> the mere fact that he had to do cleanup duty for a second day on this question, it remains confounding to people in the national security establishment, including people in the administration, that he can't get this answer right. every time that trump gets asked about this, particularly when he is discussing this matter with putin either on the phone or in person, his instinct always seems to be a little bit off and terms what could be a simple question into a two-day story in the middle of this big foreign trade. it seems the notion among his opponents that there is some reason why he always seems to be a little more generous to putin, but he always seems to be at least willing to tolerate putin saying we didn't interfere in the election when we know that u.s. intelligence agencies have concluded otherwise. there's a slight dig still at the intelligence community and his answer today where he said he sides with
9:50 am
leadership. at this leadership, which is his leadership, was not the leadership that came to that conclusion. >> chris: he trashed the old leadership, the obama leadershi leadership, klapper and comey, he called them all political hacks. >> none of that goes over well with the intelligence community, which really views itself as outside of politics, despite the fact that they have politically appointed leaders. they view themselves as people who are making independent assessments regardless of who was in the oval office. >> chris: let's turn to what was at the beginning of the trip the big issue, and that is north korea. the president repeatedly urged pacific nations to rally together to oppose the regime. here he has. >> the future of this region and its beautiful people must not be held hostage to a dictator's twisted fantasies of violent conquest and nuclear
9:51 am
>> chris: michael, do you see anything specific that the president accomplished? he made a bunch of speech is calling out the regime, sometimes he was kind of a bad cop, sometimes good cop, but he was always saying we've got to stop the nuclear relation of north korea. did you see anything specific that he may have made some progress? >> he made -- continue to strengthen our relationship with japan and south korea. in his speech he he said that south korea will always be an ally for the united states for a long time. and reciprocally the united states will always be an ally of south korea. i think he made it clear that america is not looking to preemptively go into north korea to do anything that kim jong un should know that, and put that into his calculations, but that we are also going to be strong and our policy towards north korea is going to rely on defense, strong sanctions, and keeping pressure on the regime. i thought, did he make
9:52 am
groundbreaking progress that won't go down in the history books? obviously not, but on each of those things he may be important incremental progress that is necessary to keep pressure up and to get to a better outcome. >> chris: our foreign policy expert on this panel, i don't mean to insult the rest of you, where do you think the trip leaves u.s. relations in the pacific, and particularly on the questions of china and north korea? >> the way i looked at the trip was it was really a trip into parts, and the first part of the trip had this emphasis on multilateralism, on projecting american strength and military prowess. that was why the president chose to do his first stop at pacific command. i think that was a direct message campaign for kim jong un. the second part of the trip, unfortunately, it was all about the trump doctrine, america first, that goes to the trade point. the specter hanging over that ended up being putin.
9:53 am
if the president had actually had a bilateral meeting with him at aipac, it would have helped put a lot of this to bed. if he had an hour with the president and was able to actually take them to task on meddling, rather than asking him in an offhanded way about the 2016 general election, we might have something that would enable us to move forward, as the american people and the american voters. unfortunately it was a missed opportunity. >> chris: thank you, panel. see you next sunday. up next our "power player of the week." a new museum dedicated to the best selling book of all time. ♪ ♪no e-commerce. real time inventory. virtual changing rooms. that's why retailers rely on comcast business to deliver consistent network speed across multiple locations. every corporate office, warehouse and store near or far covered. leaving every competitor, threat and challenge outmaneuvered.
9:54 am
[ keyboard clacking ] [ click ] [ keyboard clacking ] [ clacking continues ] good questions lead to good answers. our advisors can help you find both. talk to one today and see why we're bullish on the future.
9:55 am
yours. >> chris: there are more bibles in circulation in this country than ever before. an average of 2.2 per family. but how much does each of us know about the bible, and how can we learn more? here is our "power player of the week" ." >> children's museums, dinosaur museums, science museums, art museums. there was no museum for the bible, and that is the reason we built. >> chris: welcome to washington's newest attraction, and it is like nothing you have ever seen. the museum of the bible, inspiring, informative, and downright entertaining. kelly summers is the museum's president. >> is where we are as a world right now, not
9:56 am
interesting, interactive. people just walk right by it no matter how good it is. >> chris: there are 3100 items on display, many of them remarkable. from fragments of the dead sea scrolls to the handwritten poem in 1861 that became the words to the battle hymn of the republic. but there's also a recreation of the roads jesus walked in nazareth. >> they have a perspective they never had before until they say wow, now i see why he talked the way he talked about all of us the synagogue, and it takes on a whole new meaning for them. >> chris: there is even a ride. it's called a fly board. it lets you soar over washington looking for biblical inscriptions. but what may be even more surprising is the attitude of the museum. >> we don't try to promote any faith or
9:57 am
goal is to get people engaged in the bible, to get them to at least open it up and take a look at it. >> chris: there is some controversy about the museum. the family that owns hobby lobby and the national christian foundation are the two biggest donors. >> they are a donor. if they have not tried to direct the project. they have not tried to interject their personal points of view at all. >> chris: some critics say this museum is really an evangelical outpost to congress. >> that's a fun one, because all you have to do is come in. if you are here in our you realize it's not. >> chris: it's a sight to behold from the huge bronze doors that recreate the gutenberg bible's printing plate of the first page of genesis, to the soaring entry hall with the religious images. the unique artifacts and immersive technology. one quarter of american families identify as
9:58 am
you think there's going to be a big draw? >> there is going to be a big draw, we know that. >> chris: and once people come here, you summers is confidence of their reaction. >> the bible is love it or hate it, it's just one of the great reads of all time. our goal is when you walk in that front door, is that your jaw hits the ground and you say wow. and when you leave, you say this may be the greatest museum, or surely one of them that i've ever been in. that's what we are doing. >> chris: thought museum of the bible opens to the public this coming saturday. you won't want to miss it. that's it for today, have a great week and we will see you next "fox news sunday." ♪ ♪
9:59 am
10:00 am
[music] >> joel osteen: well, god bless you. it's a joy to come into your homes, and if you're ever in our area, please stop by and be a part of one of our services. i promise you, we'll make you feel right at home. i like to start with something funny, and i heard about this teenager that just got his driver's license. he asked his father about borrowing the car. the dad said, "son, i'll make a deal with you. if you'll bring your grades up, read your bible every day, and cut your hair, i'll let you borrow it." he came back a few weeks later, asking about it again. the dad said, "son, you brought your grades up, you've been reading your bible, but you still haven't cut your hair." he said, "dad, i've been


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on